While baby boomers completely embrace the status of senior citizen, the health care industry has certainly taken observation of the boom. Almost 78 million children were born in the US just from 1946 to year 1964. Luckily, huge medical advancements in the past long 60 years have allowed people from living much longer. However, recent studies displayed that these baby boomers are much less healthy as compared to the previous generations.
Common Health Issues Among Baby Boomers
There are many different health issues with the baby boomers. An average American aging more than 65 is suffering from manifold chronic conditions that include 72% hypertension, 51% arthritis, 31% heart disease, 24% cancer, and 20% diabetes. This group may be accounting for 1/3 of overall healthcare spending, 1/3 of prescription drug utilization and 40% of doctor visits. According to statistics, 1 out of 3 baby boomers does not participate in any leisure time physical activity, while 60% of adults aging from 50 to 64 are suffering from the minimum of one chronic health issue.
Citizens who are aging more than 65 spend the average of $4,769 from their pocket on health expenses, whereas the overall population spends the average of $3,313. Furthermore, it was recognized that 40% of the total baby boomers are suffering from some type of cardiovascular disease, like emphysema or COPD. Aside from this half of the total American people aging between 55 and 64 are suffering from high blood pressure that is known as the primary risk factor both for stroke and heart disease. In fact, 2 out of 5 baby boomers are known to be obese.
Future of Healthcare Industry
These incidents are anticipated to result to health care boom. By the year 2020, there will be the expected 5.6 million new health care employment opportunities hugely because of the declining of baby boomers’ health. It was in year 2011 when the first baby boomer reach the age of 65. It was the same year when the social assistance and health care industry viewed 7% growth in sales that almost doubled the rate of 2010’s. Actually, 2011 viewed development among several health care industries.
This growth in statistics should awake everyone to prepare for the future. By 2015, with another American turning 50 per 7.5 seconds, baby boomers will display 45% of the total population in the United States. For many, they will be their grandparents and parents.
Tips on Healthcare for Baby Boomers
To prepare for assisting your loved ones once they reach their retirement age, the following are some of the essential tips:
• Have your concern shared. Converse with your parents honestly and openly. When they know their health is an important concern, it will add encouragement for them from making the required changes.
• Encourage daily checkups. If you are concerned about your parent’s depression, weight loss, or other health conditions make sure to encourage them from making visits to their doctor.
• Tackle on safety concerns. Indicate any possible safety issues, like devices required to help them, such as restroom handrails. Make sure to create them an implementation plan.
Considering all these tips should help you deal with the health of these baby boomers.