The leadership style of Andrea Jung is well worth studying. It takes a strong mind and much more to run the largest direct sales business in the world for twelve straight years. And that’s exactly what Jung did during her tenure as CEO of Avon. Jung brought a unique leadership style to the company, which allowed the giant corporation to enjoy some of its most fruitful years in recent memory. That same unique leadership style has also served her well in her time with GM and Apple.
If you’re looking for leadership styles to study and potentially emulate, Andrea Jung must be at the top of your list.
The Leadership Style Of Andrea Jung
To truly appreciate the overall leadership style of Andrea Jung, it’s a good idea to perhaps break down her style into a number of key components:
1. Her leadership style has served her so well for so many years because it emphasizes a series of core leadership values. These values include the capacity to trust people and provide them with support, the desire to develop individuals who can benefit the greater good, and the ability to delegate tasks and responsibilities.
2. Her values are clear, easy to come through, and can be found in many of her words and deeds. Time and time again, Jung has proven herself to be someone with a keen open-mind, an ability to retain a sense of humility in the face of staggering success, and a natural inclination to be respectful of employees and competitors.
3. Her communication style is another aspect to her leadership style that must be observed. It’s relaxed and avoids aggression, but it always makes its intentions clear.
4. The way in which she values diversity. Everything about her long tenure with Avon points to someone who sought diverse perspectives to create a singular, effective voice in all aspects of Avon’s business, particularly in marketing. She repeatedly displayed the talent of being able to understand various viewpoints.
5. She maintained a strong vision, but she always valued the input of others. This brings us back to the diversity point. Jung’s time with Avon showed someone who was clearly committed to a strong vision for the present and future of Avon. Yet it was also a vision that maintained a certain flexibility about it.
Andrea Jung has enjoyed a considerable amount of success in her corporate career. When you consider the basics of her leadership style, it’s not hard to understand that success.