How does someone who has a strong dislike of risk and prefers to play things close to the chest become a huge success in the cutthroat world of European politics? The answer to that question can be found by examining the leadership style of Angela Merkel. Although she may strike someone as an unlikely individual to be elected the Chancellor of Germany three times, that is exactly what has happened.
Succeeding in politics in this day and age requires a distinctive, uncompromising leadership style. Angela Merkel certainly brings those things to the table, but her success in German politics can be attributed to a number of factors.
The Leadership Style Of Angela Merkel
With only a very short list of exceptions, Angela Merkel’s political career has been a successful one in every regard. Her contributions have been largely positive to the economic health of Germany, and her public perception tends to be on the positive side of things. Why is this so? You can cite a number of reasons that can be added up to create an understanding of her leadership style:
1. She is both pragmatic and methodical. You don’t become the longest serving elected female head of government in the history of European politics by accident. Her mindset is one of a person who believes strongly in moving forward at all times. She clearly prefers seeking structure over embracing chaos.
2. She stays away from risky decisions. Most of Merkel’s most successful political maneuvers have come out of the fact that she never makes a risky decision. Everything about the decision is first weighed very carefully. If it still comes out to be a risky decision, she simply avoids it.
3. She seeks the middle ground. While remaining committed to her own political ideals, Merkel has repeatedly displayed a capacity to nonetheless embrace and absorb many of the policies and opinions of political opponents. The result is a strong middle ground that really does incorporate the best of all viewpoints.
4. She plays her plans close to the chest, revealing nothing while accomplishing everything. While it may seem like Merkel is publically responding to political matters with vagueness and seemingly unrelated anecdotes, she is actually accomplishing everything she set out to do behind the scenes.
5. She’s ruthless, even with members of her own political party. Merkel isn’t afraid to bring down someone in her own party to get what she wants.
While the leadership style of Merkel isn’t for everyone, it remains compelling.