ENFJ is a personality type. It is one of the Meyer Briggs personality types. The ENFJ is an abbreviation for extraversion, intuition, feeling, judgment. ENFJ personality types are born leaders. They are authoritative and in control.
The ENFJ personality type occurs in about 2% of the population. They like people and are always willing to lend a hand. They are drawn to helping people through education and showing them how to work. The ENFJ personality is naturally intuitive. They can “sense” what people need.
This personality trait has been studied in depth because it is an unusual personality trait that has many qualities that are sought after like the ability to be empathetic, intuitive and lead. They are known as the “givers.”
What the Research Says:
ENFJ personality types are least likely to have difficulty in school. They excel in most group environments because they get along well with others. They are empathetic to others situations in life. They are always willing to lend a hand to help other people. Research has also shown that ENFJ personality types:
- Watch less TV than the other personality types.
- Prefer learning about music, art and social sciences.
- They enjoy working in an environment that is fluid, filed with people of different backgrounds and that collaborate as a team.
- They display the 3 most highly regarded character traits.
- They have an intrinsic internal control and take responsibility for their actions seriously.
- Research has shown that the ENFJ personality type finds the most satisfaction in their work but are also most likely to move on to another job if they are dissatisfied with their environment.
- This personality type is very spiritual, not necessarily religious but spiritual.
- They are success driven people but not at the expense of causing harm to others.
- They are often motivational and get other people involved in tasks and community efforts for the greater good.
- They have a great sense of humor and intuitively know how to make people laugh.
- They can be risk takers if it means that the greater good will benefit from the risk.
- They are often described as vivacious and endear themselves to others quickly.
- They are also trustworthy because they take others trust in them seriously.
The ENFJ personality traits are among the most highly regarded traits. They are excellent communicators. They put a lot of effort into maintaining and creating close personal relationships. The majority of the traits that are associated with this personality type are considered positive like the ability to put others first.
They also considered charming and creative. They have a knack for getting others to open up to them. They offer valued advice using their Chameleon like abilities. They can adopt both a negative and a positive attitude to best fit the situation and make others feel comfortable in their presence.
Of course it is not all good news there are some very negative attributes that this personality type can possess.
The Negative Traits
The ENFJ personality type can also display some of the most negative character traits as well. This personality type can be:
- Smothering to those in their lives, they want to take control of everything for everyone.
- They can neglect their own needs by putting everyone’s ahead of their own which can cause bitterness to develop.
- They are prone to loneliness even when there are in a room full of people.
- They are also prone to feelings of depression when they cannot help everyone that they want to help.
- Can be a bit OCD when it comes to neatness. They are perfectionists and struggle to make everything perfect in their environment and for other people.
- Usually worry a lot about other people’s wellness to the point of compromising their own wellness.
- Accept an overwhelming majority of blame when things go wrong but do not reveal in the joy of the things that go right for them.
- Can be critical of others and how they respond to ideas that do not match their own.
What Contributes to the Negative and Positive Personality Traits
Like every other personality type the ENFJ may have some inherent or genetic predispositions to which side they lean towards (negative or positive) but the environment in which they are nurtured can seal the deal.
Life experience and environmental influences play a huge role in whether the positive or negative traits associated with this personality type develop. For most ENFJ personality types it is a combination of both with the environment they are currently in bringing out either the best or the worst of this personality type.
While there are relatively few true ENFJ personality types in the world there are even fewer that display majority positive traits. Those that do display majority traits quickly become leaders in the work place, government and their personal lives.