An ESFJ personality type according to the Meyers Brigg Personality Testing Scale is a “caregiver”. They are the second most prevalent personality type.
- 12% of the overall population
- 17% of females display this personality type
- 8% of males display this personality type
ESFJ personalities have a strong sense of wrong and right. Their moral sensibility guides their behaviors and also forms strong opinions about how other people should live. They often think in terms of black or white with very little grey areas. They can judge others harshly when they are not in line with their way of thinking.
They often become very involved in other people’s choices and offer advice on how to correct other peoples lifestyles.
External Value System
The ESFJ takes their value cues from the greater society. If the society in which they live highly regards material possessions so will they. They adhere to a strict formula of social norms and do their best to implement these norms in their own lives.
They love to host and socialize at parties but typically put their family’s needs before all others. As friends they enjoy intimate close knit circles of friends. They are loyal to a fault and expect the same from others.
Research has shown that the ESFJ personality type typically displays the following traits both positive and negative:
- They do not give anything for “free” including emotions and friendship. If they give you a little they expect to get a lot in return.
- They are “score keepers”. They have an innate ability to keep score when it comes to arguments and any things they do for you.
- Sometimes they have a problem believing anything bad about someone that is close to them in life. They tend to live in denial.
- They are kind hearted toward their family and friends.
- They love to take care of other people.
- They are choosy though about who is on the receiving end of their care.
- They can be overly sensitive to negative comments or criticism.
- They usually have very orderly homes that are attractive and comfortable.
- They seek cooperation and harmony.
- They will often be harsh critics of anyone that criticizes their family or friends.
- They are energetically committed to their responsibilities.
- ESFJ personality types are typically seen as “helicopter” moms when they have children because they are constantly hovering and trying to anticipate their child’s next needs.
- They take their duties seriously in every environment from home to work. They work hard to please as many people as they can in each environment.
- They have a sense of order when it comes to human interaction. They are analytical in their relationships and will often plot the next move in a relationship based on their belief system.
- They can be very insecure and will seek out a sense of security.
- They are not very flexible and dislike change. This personality type works hard at setting up order in their lives and they do not adapt well to any changes that upsets that order.
Some Very Negative Traits
- They can be manipulative and controlling at times when they feel that the scales have not been balancing in their favor.
- They can be overly dramatic when little issues crop up.
- Can be very concerned with what others think of them and too focused on ownership.
- Can be passive aggressive.
ESFJ personality types make good nurses, doctors, lawyers and basically any other career field that requires a balance of caregiving and analytics.
They can be great friends and enjoy the company of others but they are guarded when it comes to their personal lives and like to keep the two separate. They have no problem walking away from a relationship that they feel does not fit into their lifestyle.
They are self assured and can even seem cocky but they fit in great with positions of power because of their strong sense of wrong and right. They are in essence keepers of the “moral compass” for everyone in their lives.
This personality likes clear cut rules to follow. They are conformists that make up a big chunk of society. They typically write the rules for others.
This personality type is fairly straightforward. They like order, they enjoy following rules and they have high expectations of their relationships but do not expect what they do not give. They often will go way out of the way for the people that they love but will ignore the needs of others if they do not have a part in their life.
They look for immediate satisfaction for any actions but are considered lovable and compassionate people. Women that possess this personality trait are perceived as being very feminine while men with this personality trait are typically seen as being very manly.