Today, most people are looking for the effective leadership styles that will best fit their characters and their team. One tip for you is to look behind the successful leaders in the history. They will truly inspire you and give you some essential tips based from their leadership system. One of the greatest leaders in the past is General Patton. He contributed several leadership skills that most people must also follow.
Leadership Style of General Patton
General Patton’s leadership style is one of the best known leadership styles of the modern times. You may be thinking about the leadership type he employed that led to his gain in popularity. His leadership styles were different for varying degrees of circumstances. He employed many autocratic type of leadership, being hard nosed and demanding strong discipline among his subordinates. He also applied many situational leadership styles.
In his life, General Patton had several principles which guided him as a good leader. He was strong mentally, physically and emotionally. He was also strong in his faith and belief of God. He showed such spiritual holiness and read the Bible each passing day. The following are some of General Patton’s life principles which helped him a lot in his leadership career. His principles are divided into various categories such as leadership, success, life, management and command.
Patton’s Principles of Leadership
1. Practice active listening within the group.
2. Improve and develop the members.
3. Earn their trust and develop cooperation.
4. Respect each member.
5. Employ positive motivation.
6. Develop a win-win attitude.
7. Stand as a good model for your members.
8. Maintain high integrity within the team.
9. Be flexible enough in every approach.
10. You must inspire and encourage your members.
11. Develop an effective technique for conflict resolution.
12. Always keep in mind that cooperation and collaboration are two important keys toward effective leadership.
Patton’s Principles of Success
1. Possess pride in your appearance.
2. Prepare and study.
3. Consider the great significance of training.
4. Portray some actions that mean dependability.
5. Apply proper usage of visualization.
6. Construct a positive mind condition.
7. Possess a strong determination within you.
8. Maintain an optimistic attitude.
9. Be confident enough.
10. Always reserve something.
Patton’s Principles of Life
1. Be healthy and physically fit.
2. Maintain an active mind.
3. Control your body with your mind.
4. Always keep in a strong honor code.
5. Possess high integrity.
6. Be honest at all times.
7. Have a strong spiritual attitude.
8. Understand and study the Holy Bible.
9. Do not judge the others around you.
10. Always bring with you the Golden Rule.
Patton’s Principles of Management
1. Gather facts before making your decisions.
2. Make use others input.
3. Employ participative governance.
4. Establish a set of priorities.
5. Get ready with alternative plans always.
6. Govern by walking around.
7. If possible, make use of the consensus.
8. Consider the importance of right timing.
9. Have open communication within the team.
10. Select leaders based on their accomplishments and not on their affections.
11. Once a person is given a responsibility, he will also obtain power and authority within the group.
Patton’s Principles of Command
1. Always maintain a command presence.
2. Make use of delegation.
3. Require accountability from everyone.
4. When it is needed, reprimand.
5. Say directly what you want to say.
6. Always be conscious in the occurrences of troubles.
7. Anyone who wants special attention and treatment is not important within the team.
General Patton has been a very good leader, although at times he was misunderstood by the people around him. He always made sure that he based his decisions for the group’s overall benefit than any individual’s interest. He was an admirable and worthy leader for his time.