In a leadership training situation, ice breaker games can prove to be invaluable. It can be difficult to get the ball rolling in a leadership training situation. It’s important to build momentum early on. Successful leadership training occurs when the momentum is established right at the beginning, with the natural energy of the room keeping it rolling along. This leads to a situation in which everyone can benefit from the leadership training.
However, establishing that momentum right at the beginning is crucial. If this is not done, then it can be very difficult to establish an atmosphere that is beneficial to everyone. This is where ice breaker games can be extremely useful.
Ice breaker games have the ability to eliminate any tension that might exist in the room at the beginning of leadership training. It can provide those involved in the training with the opportunity to blow off steam, establish early rapports with others, and develop group cohesion.
Fun and Effective Ice Breakers for Leadership Training
1. Beach ball toss: Take a beach ball and pre-divide it with several questions. The ball is then tossed from one individual to another. When a person catches the ball, they give their name and answer the question closest to the pinky.
2. Chaos: This game serves as both a memory prompter and a group energizer. Utilizing three, four, or five small objects, participants will toss the object to a person and greet that person. The person who caught the item will thank the person, return the greeting, and repeat the first step by tossing the item to someone. All objects can be in play simultaneously, but they should be spaced thirty to sixty seconds apart from each other.
3. Have You Ever: Although this game is a bit on the complex size, it’s an excellent ice breaker for large groups. The game is a physical one, encouraging active participation from everyone who participates. It’s a great way for everyone involved to not only introduce themselves to one another, but to also learn something about one another, as well.
4. Name Tag Grab: This is a name game that demands physical execration with fun, engaging rules. This is an excellent example of an ice breaker that can’t help but eliminate tension.
5. Concentration: The best thing about this is game is that you only need the things on an individual’s person.