Stress is unavoidable. The severity of stress or how chronic it is will vary from one person to another and will also depend on numerous factors, including the causes of stress. Some people are more vulnerable to stress and are thus prone to depression and anxiety disorder among others. Some people are more adept at dealing with stress. It is very difficult to generalize stress or any of its impacts because people react differently. Some people find comfort when they talk to others, especially loved ones.
There are people who would find relief from stress in chocolate, movies, music, books or exercising. How one deals with stress is completely the prerogative of an individual but it is better to stay informed and more importantly, aware of one’s own resistance and ability to cope with stress. How a man or woman copes with stress will depend largely on his or her personality. INFJ is one of the sixteen personalities as defined by the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator.
When is INFJ Under Stress?
There are certain universal causes of stress. Financial problems, health concerns, careers, familial troubles and any kind of turmoil that derails the normal scheme of things will cause stress. But in addition to these universal causes of stress, there are some that affect only a certain personality. Thus, there are some situations which will put a woman or man with INFJ personality under stress.
1. INFJ personalities experience stress when they are being dismissed or there is no one to hear them out. INFJ people need their authenticity to be beyond doubt and whatever they do or say must be attended to by others around them. When they are not trusted completely, when their judgments or perspectives are questioned to the extent of being rejected, they will be under stress.
2. INFJ personalities typically start to question their own place in an organization or their role when they do not get adequate support or endorsement from others. They are very sensitive. Hence, the slightest of criticism or any kind of aggressive behavior towards them will get them stressed.
3. INFJ personalities long for perfection. No matter what they do, they will want it to be perfect. This craving of sorts to do anything and everything perfectly takes a bearing on such people. They will be stressed whenever they think what they are doing is not up to their own expected standard. Even if others are satiated with what they have done, they would be stressed.
4. INFJ personalities face a double edged sword in many circumstances. They always need a purpose or something worthwhile to do. They would always look for causes that are worth pursuing and they would seek perfection in that pursuit. At the same time, pursuing a cause and being perpetually engaged in something or the other will lead to burnouts. In effect, a woman or man with INFJ personality will be under stress if she or he has nothing important at hand and they would get stressed when they pursue it vigorously.
How Should INFJ Personalities Cope with Stress?
INFJ personalities are creative, insightful, inspiring, decisive, passionate, determined and convincing. It is these strengths that one must focus on to cope with stress.
1. INFJ people can get easily disillusioned with their roles and purposes or with what they are doing, especially when they don’t get substantial endorsement or support. In such scenarios, people with this personality must use their determination and convincing attitude to reiterate to themselves that their role is important and they must pursue whatever they are working on. INFJ people are extremely private and they struggle to open up. This worsens their condition when they are stressed. It is necessary to find that one person, could be the spouse or a dear friend, with whom one can share their agony or the issues. Speaking out can make a world of difference for INFJ under stress.
2. INFJ people can pen down their thoughts quite brilliantly. Hence, they must resort to writing journals or they can listen to some music or play an instrument if they are trained. Painting, meditation and any kind of creative venting will work for INFJ under stress.
3. INFJ personalities have a very active mind but they are not typically active in a physical sense. Exercising, trail walking, camping or any kind of activity that doesn’t have any psychological stress and instead exhausts the body will be a great stress buster. Bird watching, rock climbing, cycling, stargazing or simply having a picnic at some spot will also be of immense help.
INFJ people have a tendency to be in denial and they may even put up a brave face of being able to cope with stress just so they don’t let others down, apparently. That is not the best approach to cope with stress for INFJ personalities.