The leadership style of Jeff Bezos is an intriguing one. Given the extraordinary success and sustained growth of Amazon.com, Bezos’ leadership style is well worth paying attention to. His company is a giant of e-commerce, and a strong example of the ways in which a company can continue to grow, even after it has accomplished a great deal.
The Leadership Style Of Jeff Bezos
Ten percent of the e-commerce in North America is controlled by Amazon.com. A great deal of that success can be attributed to the leadership qualities Bezos has brought to his position at Amazon:
1. Bezos clearly believes in the value of customer satisfaction. Over five hundred measurable goals are used to track the rate of how Amazon performs and wishes to perform. An astonishing eighty percent of those goals are related to the satisfaction of the customer.
2. In regards to customer satisfaction, Bezos has been known to keep an empty chair in place during staff meetings. This chair is designed to represent the customer, who Bezos feels should always be on the mind of Amazon and its employees.
3. Bezos leadership style has frequently been described as eccentric. A good example of this would be the use of drones in deliveries.
4. Bezos believes that taking wild risks that defy expectations can lead to inventiveness in the workplace.
5. Bezos has a leadership style that has been described as extremely blunt, yet not to the point of being considered cruel by those who have worked or continue to work for him.
6. Bezos isn’t afraid to make decisions that would be considered unorthodox by business insiders, coworkers, the public, and the press. Experimentation is clearly a cornerstone of his leadership style.
7. Bezos has repeatedly displayed a willingness to fail, as long as something innovative was attempted.
8. Bezos believes in a work environment that fosters open communication, even if that open communication leads to intense disagreement.
These are some of the leadership principles that Bezos has used to guide his work with Amazon.com. While it could be said that his approach to leadership isn’t for everyone, his approach is one that does seem to create positive results a great deal of the time. The willingness to try something bold, without any fear of the potential consequences, is what seemingly dictates a great many of the decisions that Bezos has made over the course of his career.
Jeff Bezos continues to defy expectations, lead as he sees fit, and prove Amazon.com can continue to grow.