Since 2000, Jeff Immelt has served as the CEO and Chairman of General Electric. As one might imagine, this is a leadership position that demands a definitive, strong brand of leadership. Given that Immelt has held his position with the company for a number of years, it is obvious that there is something significant that can be taken from how he defines leadership.
The Leadership Style Of Jeff Immelt
There are a number of decisive elements that come to define Immelt’s tenure with General Electric. An overview of these elements will serve to create a striking portrayal of this man:
1. Immelt is a keen believer in personal responsibility.
2. Immelt believes that the business model of today should focus on establishing and leading teams that have their focus on placing others first.
3. Immelt is a firm believer in simplifying matters as much as humanly possible.
4. Immelt believes that a company must seek to find the context of their role in the world at large.
5. Immelt believes in setting priorities, measuring outcomes, and rewarding accordingly.
6. Immelt believes that self-awareness should be maintained at all times by anyone in a leadership position.
7. Although Immelt believes in establishing boundaries, he also believes those boundaries can incorporate such elements as commitment, passion, teamwork, and trust.
8. Immelt believes in maintaining a discipline within the task of keeping details.
9. Immelt believes in being an active listener.
10. Immelt has shown in the past that effective management can sometimes involve letting employees arrive at the logical conclusion to a problem on their own.
11. Immelt has proven himself to be someone who can make adjustments as needed to meet the demands of the day.
12. Immelt has shown an ability to juggle both a strong concern for individuals and a strong concern for the results that are needed in a particular situation.
13. Immelt believes in establishing trust and respect with employees, competitors, clients, and others.
14. Immelt’s leadership style could be summed up as democratic.
The leadership style of Jeff Immelt overall could be considered one that emphasizes communication, teamwork, and the ability to lead by example at all times.
All of these traits have served him well over the course of his time with General Electric. These qualities and others have not only allowed him to succeed in his position in the corporate world, but to also obtain a number of accolades. Immelt even served on President Obama’s Economic Recovery Advisory Board at one point. It is clear that Immelt has uniquely defined leadership.